Relationship Checkups

Do you and your significant other go to the doctor together? This is a serious question that I'm asking. I'm not trying to be funny or nosey, I'm being for real. Do you go to the doctor together? I'm guessing that you will say "No". If I'm right, keep reading...

You and your boyfriend/fiancee/husband really should go to a doctor together. I'm saying this because most people don't get relationship checkups. They feel that there is no reason to get them and that everything is fine. Why fix something that isn't broken? Now normally I would agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment. I'm not one who likes to go to the doctor either. In fact I HATE going to the doctor. They always find something wrong with me. It can be my weight, or something  and I honestly don't care to spend the time or money to do it. (Sorry for my personal insight, but I did have to throw that in there for dramatic effect.)

Relationship checkups are essential because you are basically doing preventive measures on your relationship. If there is something that has been bothering you about your significant other, then you need to address it head on verses showing it up under the rug. You can't hid your issues there forever, so get them out and see what needs to be "fixed". I'll give you a personal example just so you have something to go off of. It's not hard to do and it's something that you can easily do with your own relationship. 

My boyfriend and I hadn't been doing our own checkups either. In fact, we thought that things were okay and that we didn't really need to do them. Well we had both read the book "The Love Dare".  It was a great book and in the back of the book there are a few sections to help with diving in  deeper to your relationship. There are several questions that you are supposed to ask your significant other. These are truth questions and you're not supposed to like the answers, but you're also supposed to listen to them. We did this for a few evenings and we discovered that there are somethings in our relationship that needed work. We discovered some communication problems, we discovered some problems concerning each others likes and dislikes. We discovered where we weren't being honest with each other. It was a real eye opening experience for not just us but our relationship. If we hadn't done the check up, we would've kept certain problems festering rather than attacking them head on. 

Now in this example I didn't go to an actual doctor with my boyfriend. In fact, I bet that's what you think I meant. In some cases some couples really do need a doctor. Again I'm not referring to a traditional doctor. The doctor that I'm referring to is our Heavenly Father. He's got the cure for all of our ailments. No earthly doctor can take credit or cure what happens in our relationships. Only he can do that. Its' something that he encourages us to do everyday. 

I bet you're thinking "You didn't do that. You JUST said that you used a book to substitute for a doctor." You're right. We did use a book. We used the sections in the "Love Dare". What I failed to mention was that those sections were based from the Bible. Our cure was based off of scripture and prayer. You see an active prayer life is essential to help with every day matters and affairs, including relationships. God is the foundation of any relationship. If you don't have him first, you honestly don't have anything..including a relationship. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart." (Matt. 22:37 NASB)

Photo Courtesy of Stephanie Cooper
I encourage you to make sure that you do a relationship checkup. Use your Bible for guidance. Every ailment that you can think of in a relationship is in there. And let me fill you in on a little secret....the cost is FREE! Prayer and guidance included! So with all that in mind, I encourage you to get your check up in on a monthly basis. Once a month sit down with your spouse and just see how your health is doing. Discover what needs to be fixed, see what progress has been made, and see what can be improved. Your relationship will flourish from this!

You weren't expecting that...




**Lucas Cool and I have completed our first book! It's going to be the first in a set of 4 mini books. It will drop soon so check out our site inspiringconnections.net for more details.
***Check out my podcast called "Hanging with Ms. Cooper". It's on the Spreaker Network and also on iTunes! Check it out on iTunes under "The Closer We Get", which is co-hosted with Lucas Cool.
***I have more surprises in store for you also dropping soon so stay tuned! 


Comments

Popular Posts