Single Life ~The Black Woman's Perspective


The single black woman. In today's society, a black woman has so many labels, many of them are misused or misplaced. A single black woman has many obstacles to overcome just stepping out side her front door. She is judged just based on her appearance alone sometimes, in the worst way possible.

Ghetto~a typical and most common stereotype of the single black woman. If she's not from the "best" neighborhood or "right side" of the tracks, she's instantly labeled like this without a second thought.

Hoodrat~another derogatory term labeled for the single black woman based on her association with certain women of her race.

~Rachet~ a newer term used to describe the single black woman, especially if she acts a certain way such as dancing (tweaking) or using foul language in a public setting. Dressing in tight or over revealing clothes also gives this term to the single black woman.

Statements like this and phrases like this are all labels for the single black woman. Now in some instances this is true for black women. I hate to say it, but black women have actually caved into the the stereotype of thinking and at times embrace being "ghetto, a hood rat, or rachet". They take pride in dressing in tight clothing or tweaking. They think that it's cool and sexy. When in reality, it's only proving the typical stereotype.

Dating for the single black woman is a whole new and difficult ballpark. If a black woman isn't dating a black man, she's considered a "sell out". I don't have a problem with interracial relationships. Love is a beautiful thing no matter what the race. I LOVE black love. I believe it's a beautiful thing as well. Black women get a lot of flack when it comes to love. They are considered angry, bitter, jaded in relationships. They are expected to drive black men away to other races due to their attitudes. I don't believe this is fair or true. Now I can only speak for myself, but I don't believe that black women have the worst attitudes. The way we are portrayed in music and movies is beyond disgraceful. But it's portrayals like this is why the black woman has the bad rap that she does.

THIS black woman's perspective is quite simply this..black women are the most beautiful creatures that God has ever created. We are worth more than what we portray ourselves to be. Yet we portray ourselves to be worthless pieces of trash based on how we act and carry ourselves. Did you ever realize that the "real housewives" are NOT how we should act. We shouldn't be out there spreading our legs for money, or acting a fool just for fame. We take so much for granted that we fail to realize the opportunities that we let slip through our fingers.

I myself am a proud black woman. I believe in living life to the fullest and not what they typical stereotype aims for me to be. I don't live on the system, I don't dress in tight revealing clothing. I actually think of myself in the highest standards possible. I'm educated. I live in a nice neighborhood. I'm a daughter, a mother, a friend. I'm also a single black woman.

You weren't expecting that...


**Lucas Cool and I have launched our website inspiringconnections.net Go and check it out! Also check out our podcast "The Closer We Get" on the Spreaker Network and iTunes! 

Comments

Popular Posts