Jealousy at it's finest

So lately I've noticed a trend. 

Whenever you are doing something positive and pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, you get little to no recognition. When you achieve something very minimal, you get all the praise in the world. Crazy isn't it? Why is that in reverse? Why is it so hard to help someone out by just the smallest bit of support? Is it really that hard? I guess so.

I'm not surprised by this behavior. In fact it's something to be expected. I have been trying to pursue a business on my own for quite a few years now. I can't say that I didn't have any supporters. That would be a lie. I can say though that the supporters I did get only came out to show some love...when the word "FREE" was involved. Now when I started asking for actual money, I still had a few supporters, but they were few and far between. In fact the number of those actually dwindled to absolutely ....well I can't really remember. (BUT for those that know who you are, your support is ALWAYS and STILL is appreciated!) 

I bet you're thinking that I sound bitter huh? I am just a little bit. Not going to lie or front about it. I'm human. Now that I have that confession out of the way, I can move forward. Yes move forward. In trying to build my own brand and my own business I have learned a very important lesson. Family and friends can be your biggest supporters, or lack of support. Don't expect to make it big off of their lack of attention or their attention. Yes they make a wonderful focus group, but here's a big problem....THEY KNOW YOU. They want something for FREE. They want the hookup. And yes this is the biggest headache. 

So rather than wait for friends and family to bestow their graces on me, I've stopped asking for their support. Yes I stopped asking. This isn't the bitterness talking either. This is REAL TALK. I live off this saying and so far it's held true..."Once is asking, twice is begging.". I'm not going to beg someone for support, especially when the price is just a moment of their time. But then it got me to thinking about how our Heavenly Father thinks. He doesn't beg us for our time. We know that we should make time for him everyday, but we don't. Eventually we don't make time for him at all.... sound familiar?

He is jealous though. He's a jealous God. He wants us to keep him as the main priority. And when we don't show focus or favor towards him like that, well...a lot of things can happen. We lose focus. We lose out on a lot of things. We ask for his help...He helps us out...we go back to doing what we were doing...and the cycle keeps happening over and over again. Well instead of repeating the cycle, why not just focus on God so that we can learn to move forward? We can accomplish so much more if we just put him in the center. 

With that being said, I'm no longer worried about whether I have the support of friends or family. God's support is all that I need. His support is far greater than anyone's. If he approves, then it can't go wrong. He will lead me thru the ups and the downs. He will guide me on what is a good decision and what I shouldn't be doing regarding the business. Everything will work out according to HIS will and HIS timing. That's all that matters. 

Now what do you do when God's support starts paying off for you? Meaning what do you do when your friends and family start to notice your success? You thank them. That's it. No you don't thank them for the lack of it...(I mean if you want to, but that's up to you.) But in all honesty, you have God's support in all of this no matter what. So thanking your family is just a polite formality. Love them where they are at, and keep it moving. You got a business to run!

You weren't expecting that!

Before you go:

*Lucas Cool and I have officially updated our website! The new address is now
www.inspiringconnections.net

Check it out for my blog posts, our podcasts "The Closer We Get", "Cool Utopia" and "Hanging w/Ms. Cooper." Site is updated daily for new content so check it out!

** We will be launching a course soon! Details to come!

*** More goodies will be announced soon! So in the meantime show support by "liking" us on Facebook (The Closer We Get) and following us on IG and Twitter! Links are on the website! 


Comments

Popular Posts